Friday, January 29, 2021

Harvey Milk - Live At Supersonic July 12, 2008

 

Label: Capsule
Year: 2009

Witness the ugly majesty of Harvey Milk churning at full tilt in front of a rapt audience on the occasion of their first ever visit to Blighty. This is the four piece incarnation, with Joe Preston holding down stage right and offering more volume and grim to the band's shit boogie mudslide. The sound quality is pristine, and the band were in top form, nailing material from their entire discography (to that point). As with any Harvey Milk performance (that I have seen, anyway), it is awe inspiring. In lesser hands this style of music is a boring slough through ponderous generic power chords (believe me...I'm guilty of it), but the musicality of this band, the control, the power, the restraint...it all makes for an unbelievable catharsis born of pounding noise and a swinging charge of grime. The band was fucking incredible, and I honestly will never understand how they weren't a bigger deal. 
This is a rip I made of the album, and since the band plays through between some of the songs I had to combine two of them at one point, and make some decisions on where to cut between the others. But, when you listen back it should all flow seamlessly. I think.

No comments:

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.