Monday, August 30, 2021

MTN ISL - Big Question

 

Label: self released
Year: 2021

I don't mean to be posting only Atlanta bands, but Atlanta bands keep making music that needs to be shared, so I feel duty bound to share it. I'm a giver (of other people's things...which is easier than being a creator of your own things).
MTN ISL continue to not just fly under the radar, but they seem to actively be jamming it. Case in point, I actually really like this band, yet, they released an album in 2020 that I did not know about until roughly 72 hours ago (well into the year 2021) when I looked to see if this new record was on Spotify (it is...along with the 2020 release, and their older records). I mean, should I set up a Google alert or something? Maybe just pull my head out of my ass?
But you know, whatever. Can't blame the band for me being out of touch. Maybe it's just a good reminder to always be digging, look for the next thing that excites you and reminds you of the transcendent power of art. That's how it's supposed to be. No digital algorithm will ever "know" you anyway.
So what about the music?
Well, let's just say this one has a spot somewhere on the end-of-year Best Of already. It's really really fucking good. It's a lurching tour through the grittier end of the noise rock neighborhood, where the yellowing sodium halide lamps never quite illuminate the sidewalks, and there's a constant rumble form beneath the streets. MTN ISL have a sound that remains consistent from record to record which relies on a trudging stomp and bellowing roar. A sound that generates its own turbulence, a slow ominous thud from the dark end of the corridor. A slow motion hulking tumult pushing towards you.
Don't let this one fly under the radar. I'm telling you. It's one you will want.

2 comments:

jonder said...

Thank you for posting Atlanta bands. Adding each one to my Bandcamp wishlist. Please keep em coming.

Wild Thing said...

Another ATL band, another noise rock band, another killer record. Damn that scene is blowing my hears each time you share a record! thanks so much!!!

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.