Thursday, February 4, 2021

Harry Cloud - The Pig And The Machine

 

Label: self released
Year: 2020

I've been sitting with this record for months now, revisiting it on occasion to see how its settling. Praying on it, if you will. You see, the band (person) sent this record over when it came out, and like most things, we (I) didn't catch the message, and I wasn't aware there was a record in the 'ole inbox for a month or two. But then I did. I did eventually work through messages and came upon it. And, I listened to it. I listen to everything that people take the time to create and pass along. It is literally the least I can do.
Well, this particular record is one of those that may need to hit your particular mood, because upon first listen, it didn't. I wasn't sure what to make of it. But, there something about it that compelled me to want to circle back. Which I did. A few times over the last months. And it wasn't until recently that something fell into place and the record clicked with me. It has a lot of quirks, and I think I got used to those quirks. I came to understand their place in crafting the sound of the record. 
It's a strange album, that covers a lot of ground. A lot of sounds. Closest thing I could reckon it to would be some of the Conan Neutron stuff. It's essentially a rock-n-roll album, even though there are lots of off-kilter passages, noises, and detours between the rocking and the rolling. And I think that was what kept me from immediately liking this, but what eventually drew me back to it again and again. There's a lot to explore in this album, which gives it a longer shelf life than most. You just have to give it a chance.

I also realize I made this entry all about my feelings towards the record, and less about the record itself. I apologize for that. I'm going through shit.

No comments:

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.