Friday, January 2, 2015

Ty Segall Band - Slaughterhouse



Label : In The Red
Year : 2012

 Ty Segall or in this instance The Ty Segall Band never ceases to entertain me. He get's divided into two camps of fandom. There are those who will always associate him with garage rock and then there are those (like me) who associate him with being a musician who is always finding ways to re-invent himself and isn't scared if those who are in camp one get upset about it. I like most of what he does, and some will think it's not "noise rock" while others will. What is "Noise Rock" anymore anyway? Most of it these days is just a more clever punk rock approach to metal.  Lo-Fi fuzzy guitars, sounding like it was recorded in a cave sounds pretty noise worthy to me. The coolest thing about this guy, no matter how you feel about him, is that at age 26.. he's put out more records and toured more than most bands do their entire careers. Ty Segal can churn out catchy noisy pop songs and do it almost effortless,  the way Cobain did.

Slaughterhouse is a mix of pop and fuzzy retro guitar driven songs. some would say it's his best record, even though I think I like "TWINS" & "Melted" better".. still he's worthy or your time if anything to get a taste of what this kid can do. Think Mudhoney, think Fuzz pedals, Think Harmonies, Think Psychedelic. Had Ty Segall been around in the 90's I could see Sub Pop being all over it.

I would love to see him get more recognition from old geezers like myself. I was quite impressed to see that Marc Maron was a fan and had him on his podcast.

DL 
 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.