Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Blind Shake - Get Youth 7"


Label: Depression House
Year: 2014

Let's take a break from Sub Pop for a moment so that I can bring you this public service announcement: If The Blind Shake are coming anywhere within 45 nautical miles (or as the crow flies) of your domicile or base of operations, you are hereby required to attend their concert event.

I went to see them last night, with admittedly no expectations. I have enjoyed their records, and think they have a cool take on the unhinged, wild, garage-y type rock music that is in a revival currently. The baritone guitar and dueling vocals are a unique touch. But, what I didn't understand until last night was how incredibly intense the live version of that sound is. And believe me, it's fucking nonstop attack. They come, they see, they conquer, they bolt. They leave you with ringing ears and visions of three shaved head dudes in semi-matching black sweatshirts with cryptic duct-taped symbols on them dancing around your hung over head the next morning. They bring the thunder, and deliver a massively tight and focused wallop right about your very face-hole.  I also heard a little of their Minneapolis brethren Hammerhead (and Vaz too) in their sound for the first time last night. Listening back this morning, I'm not sure how that eluded me until that point.

Bottom line is, don't be like me and lump this band into a sound/scene that you may have preconceived notions about...because I'm here to tell you, this is one of the best working bands today. Go see them and report back!

DL

No comments:

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.