Saturday, January 16, 2010

Chain Gang - Perfumed


Label: Matador
Year: 1993

At some point I remember seeing a request for this record in the forum section, it was awhile back. The name of the band didn't ring any bells, so I went along with business until, while rifling through some cds, looking for songs for the next SGM Radio show (Sundays afternoons!), I came across this one. I have no idea where it came from, when I got it, or why I have it. I don't think I've ever listened to it, until I put it on the computer. Mysterious, no?
And don't let the release date fool you, the songs on this compilation were recorded as far back as 1976 all the way through 1988. What is it, you ask? Uh, good question. The band was from New York, and were contemporaries of all the first wave New York punk and new wave bands, so you have some of that sound in here. Maybe some Television mixed with Pere Ubu (I realize that strays from New York), some straight up shouting, noisy punk with some Johnny Thunders bar rock thrown in? I'm not sure. This genre ain't my thing, so I'm not sure how to describe this accurately.
It's interesting, I'll say that much. It's a missing link of sorts in the New York music timeline, and if you're an adventurous listener I think you'll dig it.

6 comments:

MKV said...

a lovely piece of debauchery is this
'Bouncers at the Ritz' strikes a chord with me. I'd also highlight Rockland with the Dali Lama intro and Piss your pants which Matador put on it's compilation. Fans of Vertical Slit will certainly dig this, it's kinda like a sloopyjoe sandwich that tastes like sushi, Too bad this covers pretty much all of their discography, I could go for seconds.

kittyempire said...

Cheers for this one...

kami said...

there's also the mondo manhattan lp floating around - i had it once on vinyl a long long time ago and did stumble onto it on the world wide but cant remember where. worth checking out. it was supposed to be a soundtrack to a film the band were putting together. dont know if it ever got finished (the movie that is)

panzan said...

pretty cool forced exposure interview reprinted on the matador web site -
http://www.matadorrecords.com/chain_gang/forced_exposure.html

Viacomclosedmedown on youtube said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Schism said...

The Mondo Manhattan film is finished after 25 years! Trailer is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbV26_9Fz2M

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.