Friday, July 3, 2009

Brainiac - Bonsai Superstar


Label: Grass
Year: 1994

Can you believe that there hasn't been any Brainiac posted on this blog before? I mean, what the fuck, right? I had never put any up here because I assumed it had already been covered, but then whilst looking back in the archives, I noticed...no Brainiac. For shit's sake dudes, we gotta do something about that, it's embarrassing. For reals.
I suppose we could have put up any of their records, as they're all really good, but I chose their second full length, as I have a particular soft spot in my heart for it (or maybe that's a heart murmur...I don't know, I'm not a doctor). If you missed out on them during their active years, then I guess you could describe them as noise rock, filtered by the quasi-danciness of Girls Against Boys (Eli Janney did produce this), and layered by synthesizers and Moogs. It yields a distinctive racket, but one that rewards time and time again. 
After the death of lead singer/keyboardist Tim Taylor in a car accident, the band broke up and the members went on to Enon, Model/Actress (with Curtis Mead from Split Lip [small world huh?]), Shesus, and sort of The Breeders. 

2 comments:

ipecac said...

i'm ashamed

i need to go and take a crying game shower

clintellectual said...

i actually had noticed... and maybe requested some, not sure. anyway, know what goes great w/Brainiac? thats right, some Six Finger Satellite. i know you've posted Severe Exposure but if you have any bootlegs that would kick ass. same goes for Brainiac for that matter.

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.