Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Wrecking Ball - Atlanta, August 13th and 14th


If you live in Atlanta (or thereabouts) and are over the age of 30 (or thereabouts), you have no doubt (or thereabouts) contemplated the Wrecking Ball Festival that is taking place this coming weekend August 13th and 14th. You're have weighed the pros and cons of nostalgia trips and crowds and money and weather and crowds and schedules and "who are they?" and tolerance and crowds. And crowds.
It's understandable, since, on the surface it seems like a drag...all festivals seem like a drag. At least to me they do.
But then you start thinking about it, and you have some buddies start showing interest, and...well, next thing you know you're clearing your weekend and getting mentally steeled for the dealing with the crowds. Cause, ultimately, Quicksand will be worth it. I think. They can still deliver, right?

So, here you are, and here I am, and aren't you lucky? I've bitten the bullet, and I'm going. All in. Hog wild. And...AND, I've saved you the hassle of wading through all the muck and the mire of crappy has-beens and crappy never-weres, and made out your daily schedules for each day. That was so nice of me!!!



Ready? Alright, here's what we're doing on Saturday...

1:00 - 1:30 - BIG JESUS
We've covered this band here before, so you already know. But, in case you forgot, they are big time alternative rock with nods to lots of big alternative rock bands of the 1990s. And they do it well.



1:30 - 2:00 - ABUSE OF POWER
Atlanta hardcore band who have re-appropriated older Atlanta hardcore band Act Of Faith's logo, adn for that I give them a tip 'o the hat.



2:30 - 3:00 - DRUG CHURCH
Is it too obvious a pun to say I have "high hopes" for this set? I do enjoy their full throated hardcore-cum-lumberjack rock approach, and I do plan on busting Dad Joke after Dad Joke during their performance.



find some shade and drink some beer

5:40 -6:30 - TURNSTILE (catch the first part of their set)
As someone who lived through Leeway and Maximum Penalty I wasn't sure if this band was a bad joke or what. But their newest ep has signs of progression...and that's...good?



5:55 - 6:45 - WILDHONEY (catch the second part of their set)
I have no problems with Slowdive worship. Looking forward to seeing if they get heavy.



6:45 - 7:45 - DEERHUNTER (catch the first half of their set...unless they are ripping, then hang out)
If they play the driving, nihilistic stuff then I'm all in. Like, if they play this song on repeat, I'd be good:



6:50 - 7:50 - CEREMONY (catch the second half of their set...depending on Deerhunter)
Curious if they will be playing hardcore or Joy Division-core. I actually like 'em both, but I'm sort of hoping for more of the wild stuff.



7:50 - 8:50 - GORILLA BISCUITS
When those motherfucking trumpets herald the opening to this set...I may or may not lose my fucking shit. Kinda leaning towards losing my shit. Also looking forward to Civ cleaning up his "all lives matter" thing from this past weekend...which we shouldn't care about, but...hardcore "kids" are thin skinned poontangs it would appear.



8:45 - 9:45 - DRIVE LIKE JEHU
Assuming this will be the highlight of the weekend. Ever since they played that reunion show in San Diego at Balboa Park I've been hoping they would make it to Atlanta, and here they be. Have not seen them since the (infamous in my mind) Somber Reptile double booking of Car vs Driver / Tanner / Drive Like Jehu upstairs and Sunny Day Real Estate downstairs show. Too long ago.



go home (but not to my house...no trespassing) and drink a few beers on the porch before bed.



Ok, day two, let's rally!

12:00 - 12:30 - WAREHOUSE
Local Atlanta band with a fun mix of scrappy post punk and scratchy pop damage.



1:00 - 1:30 - BULLY, but maybe DONOVAN WOLFINGTON...but probably BULLY
Fun time music of the 1990's indie guitar variety (except not from the 1990's...from teh now's). Catchy but messy enough to be interesting.



2:00 - 2:40 - CULTURE ABUSE
Blown out skuzz punk with lots of rock. Should be a fun set. Remind me of Roomrunner.



3:10 - 4:00 - BURN
Did you not read my NYHC Top 7"s mega post form back in January?! C'mon!



4:05 - 4:55 -JOYCE MANOR (catch the first part of their set...or grab something to drink)
Borderline on this band, cause they have some good sloppy punky stuff, but then they got some stuff that veers a little too close to pop punk or bad emo. So..we'll give them a shot.



4:20 - 5:10 - CIV
Always second fiddle to Gorilla Biscuits, but, I mean, they have their own bangers. Legit hardcore bangers..if you can get past the creepers and shit.



4:55 - 5:45 - SOLIDS (catch the second part of their set)
This band has been a surprise. Total earworm. They take the good stuff about mid-90s Midwestern emo (think Castor) and run it through a Sonic Youth guitar pop machine. Might have to cut out of Civ early to watch their whole set.



6:45 - 7:45 - DINOSAUR JR
There are some songs in their catalog that are pretty much perfect songs, you know? Like this one:



find something to eat, preferably something that looks and tastes like a taco

8:45 - 10:00 -QUICKSAND
Hail Walter! Hail TC3! Hail Sergio! Hail Alan! It's been since that one aborted reunion they did in 1998 or 1999 since I've seen them last (in San Diego opening for Deftones at Brick by Brick...oof), and prior to that it was at the this same venue as this festival playing with Surgery I think (or did they play with Rage Against The Machine?). Doesn't matter. Quicksand is the best.



pat yourself on the back for not killing anyone, and go home to make love to your wife.


Feel free to disagree on band selection, but also feel free to know that you're not correct. There is nothing else worth your time on this line up. Take Piebald and shove them up your ass.
There are "after shows", some of which have good bands, but seriously, what kind of glutton wants to hear more music after being at a festival all day? Honestly?

Have fun. Wear sunscreen. Stay hydrated. And if you see me (I look like Magnum P.I. basically...super sexy), please buy me food and beers. Thanks in advance.

2 comments:

jonder said...

So how was it?

Gray said...

It was a pretty great weekend once you got used to not smelling or feeling..."fresh".

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.