Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thee Mighty Caesars - Acropolis Now


Label: Milkshakes
Year: 1986

By no means am I any kind of expert on garage rock, or this version punk-via-early 60's RnB, but I do know that this band were one of the first to bring this type of music into the light. I also know they but out 12 full length records between 1985 and 1989 which is a shit-ton of new records. I don't mean to get all technical, but it's a shit-ton, that's the only way I can describe it.
They are most well known as being the band Billy Childish helmed between The Milkshakes and Thee Headcoats (Thee Headcoatees as well). But a lot of folks would say they had a heavy influence on the whole K Records scene, and to a lesser extent the early Sub Pop,  and early Amphetamine Reptile scenes as well. That seems like a fair assessment to me. I hope you agree.

The reason I posted this today was that I had been reading the stories on the internet over the past 48 hours of the fight between local Atlanta celebrity Jared Swilley of the Black Lips and Nathan Williams of the band Wavves, and how this coming Sunday they are going to meet again here in Atlanta and "get nasty". The ridiculousness of telegraphing your intentions to beat some one up and trash their van aside, I got a chuckle out of the whole thing because to me it adds a little soap opera drama to some otherwise dull moments in life, and who can't use that? If they kill each other, oh well. It's doubtful that they will even have a physical confrontation, but we can all keep our fingers crossed. 

But back to the post.

Thee Mighty Caesars really point out the deficiencies of a Black Lips record. Like I said, I ain't no expert, but I know what sounds "real" and what sounds "forced". This shit is real. Dig it.

4 comments:

Roger Camden said...

anything Billy Childish does is real-deal-holyfield

Mars said...

'Get Nasty?'
Like swap bodily fluids?
I love Cole (BL), he's good people, but their explosion is more based on that brief moment of GG inspired insanity about a decade ago now, than their music - not that they're bad. Just very pedestrian.

Granted, any band that has the audacity / stupidity to put the WTC about to be hit by the second plane on a show flyer on 9/12/2001 (I just couldn't believe it - I felt really un-punk at that moment) has gone a long way to earn the legend.

But, of course, and I'm sure they'd agree:
Billy Childish > Black Lips

Susannah said...

Is this related too orthe same band as the "thee headcoatees"? it rocks just like them...

oui said...

I'm writing a book on the one French tour Thee Caesars did in France in 1987. I think I have 29 pages so far! I'm at it now. Great band...and a huge influence on gentle people and brutes alike.

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.