Saturday, June 2, 2018

Lacy Jags - Scodes


Label: Potluck Foundation
Year: 2016

As is common, found myself and my family in Asheville, North Carolina this past weekend to enjoy the hospitality of my parents (my father is still pissed that I wore a Circle Jerks tshirt in front of company when I was 12 or so....but not so pissed that we can't still drink some beers together on the patio and enjoy the weather), some beautiful scenery, some delicious foods, and some of my favorite beers on earth. Maybe or maybe not in that order.
The hospitality was great.
The scenery was fantastic. Saw some elk, and were about one week early to catch the rare synchronous fireflies (Photinus carolinus...look it up) at a secret back porch location (although the fireflies were still pretty impressive...just not quite in sync yet...few days early), and had great cool evening air.
The food was as good as always. In particular a brunch at Laughing Seed that featured some pretty bitchin' vegan biscuits and gravy.
The beer was out of this world, especially at Burial Brewery, which is far and away my favorite spot in Asheville to take down a few cool ones.

But this time around, on this particular visit, it just so happened that A Place To Bury Strangers was playing in town, and being the hip and with-it fellow that I am, my wife and I decided to hit it up.
Opening the show was Chapel Hill, NC band Lacy Jags, who come on high recommendation from close personal friend Matt Gentling (name drop...don't trip), so we made arrangements to be there on time. Plus, close personal friend Matt Gentling "owes me a beer" and I intended on collecting.

Lacy Jags were in fact, very very good. Live, they really play up a muscular psychedelic rock that balances a driving Black Rebel Motorcycle Club kind of dirty motorik drone groove with a twelve string electric guitar, and three part vocal harmonies to humanize the darkness. It was impressive. Catchy and buoyant, but with teeth. Damn if North Carolina hadn't done it again.

This record doesn't deliver the same power as the live show, and it took a couple listens for me to get over that, but ultimately its a quick hitting slice of power pop psych that comes in handy if you find yourself outside in the sun.

DL

1 comment:

fnordboy said...

Archers. Nice - youda man.

Asheville is awesome - 12Bones for lunch.

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.