Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tad / Pussy Galore - Damaged I and II


Label: Subpop
Year: 1989

Let's get one thing real clear right now, I am not a religious person, and there ain't much I hold sacred, but buster, when you start talking about Black Flag it gets up my dander. Gets it up good and proper like. So the idea of anyone...ANYONE covering the mighty Black Flag is a losing proposition to begin with. You just can't. Sorry, but you can't. There was only one group of folks, and specifically one dude who could strangle that sound, that Black Flag sound out of thin air. Only one band can coax those most unholy notes from the ether, so unless your last name is Ginn, you might want to steer clear of this legacy. I needed to get that off my chest.

So then, why on earth would I post this record where Tad and Pussy Galore tackle Black Flag, and not just any ole jams, but two of the best, most iconic Black Flag offerings? 

Simple. They both kill it. Both of these bands pay homage to the original versions, but then put their own spin on them. By the songs' very nature, as long as you play the thing, it's going to illicit a certain vibe, but the key is then to not try and compete with that vibe, but to roll with it and make it your own. So I say, kudos to Tad and Pussy Galore. Well played ladies and gentlemen, you have made me, and America proud. Chuck Dukowski is somewhere saluting you. Greg Ginn is somewhere else petting his cats. Robo is...alive? Dead? In South America? Dez Cadena is wiping that ridiculous Misfits make-up off. And Henry Rollins just squat-thrusted an extra set in your honor. Oh, say can you seeeeeeeeee......

2 comments:

cdb said...

Robo is also in The Misfits now. But I think it's best if we all just pretend that thing isn't happening.

Anonymous said...

yes, the mighty Tad. and while, as i type this, i have yet to hear this lovely download, i can only imagine how they might crush a classic Flag tune like Damaged I. cannot wait. and i agree with cdb.

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.