Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Unwound - A Single History: 1991-1997


Year: 1999
Label: Kill Rock Stars

Here's a band I find myself coming back to over and over again. The music never gets old because they never bought into what was in fashion at the time, they were constantly taking elements of punk, indie rock, noise, space rock, and even free jazz and molding them into new and exciting combinations. What is presented here is a chronological survey of their singles, compilation tracks, and some demo material. 
But you knew that huh? I mean, you're here, at this blog, so I would assume you are familiar or at least aware of this band. Seems they are far more popular now than they were when they existed. I caught them in Atlanta a couple of times around the New Plastic Ideas and The Future Of What eras and there wasn't a full house either times. And these weren't big houses. So I don't know, maybe you haven't ever listened to Unwound, maybe I'm being presumptuous. Well alright then, let me try and describe this band...I've honestly never really thought about it, so I'm winging it here folks. My best shot would be; take the push and pull of the early 90s Dischord sound (Fugazi, Circus Lupus, Nation Of Ulysses), mix in some of the frantic emo skuzz of the Vermiform punk style (Born Against, Moss Icon, The Great Unraveling), a dose of the spare syncopation characteristic of the late 80's math rock crew (Bitch Magnet, Slint, Bastro), and dunk the whole mess into the murky pop of the mid period SubPop label (Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Seaweed). It's pretty much a combination of the best music produced in the past two decades distilled down by one of the best bands of the past two decades. 
If you don't have this, please get it. You need it. It is important to your growth as a human.

6 comments:

julius orange said...

definitely one of the greatest bands ever. amazing live too. what are they all doing now?

Anonymous said...

I've been on an Unwound roll the last few days, any chance of reposting this...?

Anonymous said...

please let me grow as a human by reposting this!

Igor said...

Repost pleeeeease

Anonymous said...

Repost pls

Anonymous said...

FUCK, delete this post, if you cant repost that link, go away and masturbate

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.