Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Duke Spirit - Cuts Across The Land



Year: 2005
Label: Polydor

Cocky, swaggering, and uniquely English in their approach, The Duke Spirit come across as cool. Simply stated, they are a "cool" band who play really "cool" songs. 
I heard them described as a female-fronted Strokes one time, and I can sorta get behind that (that's what she said). There is a retro sound, and a laid back ether over most of the proceedings, but I think The Duke Spirit writes better crafted jams than the Strokes did. They're catchy, understated, and, dare I say, sexy. Did you ever hear that band The Kills? They have some similarities. What about Royal Trux? There's a little of that in here too. Yeah Yeah Yeah? Some of that too. Shit, I'll throw in PJ Harvey, and the murk of Sonic Youth.
Produced by Flood as well, in case that matters.


No comments:

 
Designed by mln3 designs & etc.